We eat all types of bread including white and multigrain but I am always on a hunt for healthy and tasty bread recipes. This is so far the best multigrain bread recipe that I have baked, it is moist and light. Perfect to serve as toast in the morning. I feel good when serving my family this bread to start the day. It goes well with anything but my favorite is peanut butter and jam.
Do not get discouraged by reading the instructions below, you will get a hang of it after the first few tries. This recipes makes two loaves, always a good idea to freeze few extra loaves for busy days!
Quinoa Spelt Bread
- 2 cups white bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 scant tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour and more as needed
- mix of sesame seed, oats and poppyseed for coating
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast and water. Mix in the honey and molasses. Stir in the flours, one cup at a time. Stir for about two minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm spot for about an hour.
- Gently fold in the oil, salt and quinoa in order. Fold in the spelt flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour, one cup at a time.
- Place the dough on a floured surface with 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour. Use a spatula to fold in the sides towards the center of the dough until all the flour has incorporated. Continue to add another 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour and repeat the previous step.
- Knead the dough with a spatula for about 10 minutes and adding more flour as needed until it springs back when you press it with your finger. Try to avoid adding excess flour. The dough will be wet, dense and sticky. Transfer to a large oiled bowl, turn it around to coat with oil and cover with plastic wrap to rise for at least an hour or until doubled.
- Punch down the dough and let it rise for another 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Oil two 8 x 5 in loaf pans.
- Divide the dough in half and roll into loaves. Sprinkle the sesame seeds mixture on the counter and roll the loaf gently until the mixture is sticking to it. Transfer loaves to the pans and cover loosely with a plastic wrap. Allow to rise for about 30 minutes or until the dough has risen above the side edges of the pans.
- Using a serrated knife to cut two 1/2 inch deep slashes across the top of each loaf. If it causes the loaves to deflate, let it rise for another 15 mins.
- Bake for 50-60 mins or until deep golden brown and it sounds hollow when you tap the bread. Transfer the pans to the rack and let it cool for 10 mins. Remove the from the pans and cool on rack.
Adapted from Whole-wheat quinoa bread by Martha Rose Shulman